Unfortunately, not everyone enjoys such great success on
the Scarsdale Medical Diet.
Realistically, most people lose 7 - 15 pounds within a two
If you find yourself stalling, or even gaining weight, dont
despair - check this list and see if you cant troubleshoot your problem.
Stopping a stall or gain:
- If you have been weighing every day (or more often), stop.
Weigh again in three to five days.
- Clean up / Pare down your diet to the bare minimum - check your use of condiments, especially SALT.
- EAT MORE PROTEIN - increase your portions of meat, poultry, fish or veg protein.
- Check that your calories are at least 850-1000 day - decreasing your calories any lower can cause
your metabolism to slow down, or shut down. Use www.fitday.com for your calculations.
- Raise or reduce your drinking water to 64oz a day - drinking more than this can cause bloating
or water retention, and dilute digestive juices.
- Avoid diet sodas, they have a bloating effect for some, and slow digestion by giving your kidneys
one more thing to process.
- Cut out broth as a snack- Its a luxury item, its not part of the diet. It may also be loaded with
sodium and msg.
- Choose celery over carrots
- Dont substitute ANY fruits or vegetables listed for a while
- Dont use fat free salad dressings or butter replacements
- Recheck the info on your bread - may be too high carb - also make sure your bread is always eaten
- Cut out sugarless candy, gum
- Dont overuse artificial sweetener
- Get more exercise - but not TOO much. Overexertion can cause muscles to retain water. Also, muscle
weighs more than fat by volume, so you might want to measure yourself to see if you're getting SMALLER, even though your weight
is staying the same (or increasing)
- Get more sleep (7 hrs a night minimum, 9 hrs a night maximum)
- Are you taking any medication? This can stall many people.
- (Ladies) Is it your Time of the Month? Most dieters won't lose weight during their
menstrual cycles. However, they generally dont gain any weight, even if they usually do during this time. Stick with the diet
during your period, and the weight loss will catch up to you by the end of the week.